New Timeline Provides Information In Freddie Gray’s Arrest – CBS Local

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Baltimore police are trying to be more transparent in their investigation into the death of Freddie Gray. They spoke Friday, as demonstrations continue across the city.

Marcus Washington has the latest on this controversial death.

We now know what happened to Freddie Gray from the time he made it to the Western District to the hospital.

It’s the video that sparked daily protests and the attention of the nation. The death of Freddie Gray in police custody has launched investigations by police, the feds and the city state’s attorney.

The question remains: What happened to Freddie Gray?

The 25-year-old was arrested April 12, fell into a coma at Shock Trauma and died seven days later.

With calls out to people nationwide to join protests in Baltimore, Congressman Elijah Cummings says he’s concerned about the intentions of people who don’t live here.

“I want people to remember that this is our house. And in the words of Under Armour, we must protect our house,” he said.

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake is calling on faith-based leaders and the community to keep demonstrations peaceful.

“I will not deny that here in Baltimore we have had a very long and complicated history on issues such as these but it’s important to remember that we have an equally long history of peaceful and legal protest,” the mayor said.

Friday, new information released to WJZ gives us a clearer picture of what happened after Freddie Gray’s arrest and his brief transport to Baltimore’s Western District Police Station.

Baltimore’s fire department reports an alert went out for an unconscious male at 9:26 a.m. on April 12. Medics arrived in seven minutes.

Now it’s 9:33 a.m. For 21 minutes, medics work on Freddie Gray. No details are provided.

At 9:54 a.m., they transport him to Shock Trauma, arriving six minutes later.

Governor Hogan released a statement Friday, saying:

“I cannot begin to understand the level of heartbreak and pain felt by the family of Mr. Freddie Gray. My thoughts and prayers are with them and the entire Baltimore community as we grieve this tragic loss. While Mr. Gray’s family and our community mourns, I also fully understand, and appreciate, the peaceful expressions of frustration displayed in the city. To date, the nature of these demonstrations have been a testament to Baltimore’s strong character and our common commitment to peace and justice. It is my hope that events planned for this weekend continue to reflect positively on the community.”

Click here for the latest on the investigation into Freddie Gray‘s death.

According to court documents, Officer Garrett Miller sought to charge Freddie Gray with carrying a switchblade, which was discovered in Gray’s pocket after he was stopped. But at a news conference Monday, Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said “we know having a knife is not necessarily a crime.”

Billy Murphy, the lawyer hired by Gray’s family, said he believes the officers had no probable cause to stop Gray.

On Friday, court documents show a disposition was issued in Gray’s knife charge–stating he’s “abated by death.”

Baltimore police are expected to complete their investigation next week.

A funeral for Freddie Gray is set for Monday.

Donations in honor of Gray are being accepted by The Freddie Gray Fund via GoFundMe. You can also donate by sending money to The Harbor Bank of Maryland at 25 W. Fayette Street Baltimore, Md. 21201.


Write a Reply or Comment:

Your email address will not be published.*