Mother, grandmother dead; 3 others, including 11-month-old, injured in shooting – Chicago Tribune

A family on their way back from a family gathering Monday night was gunned down in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, leaving a pregnant mother and grandmother dead and three others — including an 11-month-old boy — injured, police said.

The shooting spurred an emergency medical services response to the 5300 block of South Aberdeen Street after multiple people were reportedly shot at 7:15 p.m., said Chicago Fire Department Cmdr. Frank Velez.

Deputy Chief of Detectives Eugene Roy said that a group was returning from a family outing and getting out of their parked vehicle when another vehicle drove up and shots rang out from inside.

The boy’s mother, Patricia Chew, was shot in the right side, and the boy’s grandmother, Lolita Wells, was shot in the leg, according to relatives and police. Both were pronounced dead at Stroger Hospital. Relatives said Chew was 25 and Wells was 48. Police said the mother was 24 and the grandmother was 46.

“Coming home from a family outing, this family was attacked by unknown individuals,” Roy said. “In a second, two generations of that child’s family were wiped out.”

In addition to those victims, a 25-year-old man was shot in both legs and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital and a 25-year-old man was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital with a gunshot wound to the abdomen. One of the men was in critical condition, while the other man had non-life-threatening injuries, Roy said.

No one was in custody, and it’s not immediately clear if family was being targeted.

A police officer took the 11-month-old boy, Princeton Chew, to Stroger Hospital with a gunshot wound to the side. The child’s condition had stabilized, police said. The baby underwent a CT scan and has non-life-threatening injuries.

Princeton was up and talking late Monday evening, said family members as they stood outside Stroger. The boy was going to stay at the hospital for observation overnight, they said.
“The officer saw a seriously injured 11-month-old child and made a decision to transport that child immediately to a hospital. He made the right call, and he is somebody we are very proud of,” said Roy.

Earlier information incorrectly indicated that a second child had been injured in the shooting.

The EMS Plan 1 response called for at least six ambulances to the area, which was secured at 7:50 p.m., Velez said.

Red and yellow police tape blocked off both sides of South Aberdeen Street, stretching down the block toward West 54th Street.

A smattering of evidence markers sat in the middle of the roadway in front of a red, two-story home on the west side of the street, which also was roped off. Officers then closed off part of a grassy lot next to a boarded-up home across the street and scanned the ground with flashlights.

Officers also could be seen examining a gray sedan stopped in the middle of the road at 53rd Street, but it was not immediately clear if the vehicle was connected with the shooting.

As it neared 9 p.m., officers spread out over the area, scouring yards and vacant lots near the shooting with flashlights.

The block was eerily quiet, despite a persistently barking dog in the distance and chirping crickets nearby. The ground crackled slightly as police vehicles slowly came and went.

Residents scattered, opting to watch quietly from their stoops rather than mill around the crime scene tape. People who unwittingly happened too close to the tape were stopped and told to go around the block to find their way home.

That included two curious teenage girls. Having wandered toward the crime scene from the west side of Aberdeen, they reappeared minutes later on the east side of the street.

One of the girls, wearing a maroon shirt and light-colored pants, got excited as she saw an open sliver of sidewalk that allowed them to inch closer to where it appeared most of the shots were fired.

She started down the sidewalk, but her friend in a red sweatshirt hesitated.

“Come on!” the first girl insisted. “Why are you acting all scared?”

Monday night’s shooting was one of several with multiple victims in the Back of the Yards neighborhood in the last few days.

Five people were shot Thursday night outside a neighborhood corner store in the 5100 block of South Morgan Street across the street from an elementary school. In addition to that shooting, four people were shot after a family barbecue Sunday in the 5200 block of South Justine Street. 

Earlier Monday, an 18-year-old man was fatally shot on the West Side.

It happened about 10:50 a.m. in the 100 block of North Kedzie Avenue in the East Garfield Park neighborhood, said Officer Janel Sedevic, a spokeswoman for the Chicago Police Department.

Someone shot the man several times in the chest and arm. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, Sedevic said. 

At 9:30 p.m., two more people were wounded in two separate shootings.

In the 5100 block of South Prairie Avenue in the Washington Park neighborhood, a 23-year-old man was shot in the left shoulder, police said.

The man was standing on the street when someone in a vehicle fired shots at him, police said.

He was taken to Stroger Hospital where he was stabilized.

Around the same time, another man, whose exact age was not available, was wounded in a shooting in the 7100 block of South Winchester Avenue in the West Englewood neighborhood, police said.

No additional information about that shooting was immediately available.


Write a Reply or Comment:

Your email address will not be published.*