Italian Terror Raid Busts Cell With Alleged Bin Laden Link – NBCNews.com

ROME — Italian police busted an al Qaeda-inspired terror network with possible ties to Osama Bin Laden that financed terror operations in Pakistan, officials said Friday.

Counterterrorism officials said a vast operation had dismantled a “very well-structured terrorist network” composed of Pakistani and Afghan nationals that had been operating out of Italy’s Mediterranean island of Sardinia since 2005.

“This was one of the most important operations we ever conducted,” Mario Carta, the counter-terror police official leading the raids, told NBC News. “We are talking people with connections with al Qaeda at the highest level.”

Carta said the operation targeted 18 people across seven provinces — mostly Pakistani businessmen who appeared to be conducting normal affairs while in reality financing al Qaeda in Pakistan.

“In a wiretapped conversation, one of them…boasted that Bin Laden sent him personally to Italy,” he said. “We believe they were in touch with people who knew the whereabouts of bin Laden, to the point that they would frequently ask over the phone about his health while he was in hiding.”

Officials also suspect the network planned but never carried out an attack against Pope Benedict XVI at the Vatican in 2010, Carta said. Police also said the group “preached armed struggle against the West” and had been involved in trafficking migrants.

Some of the suspects arrested were also believed to be involved in a bombing on a market in the Pakistani city of Peshawar in October 2009, in which more than 100 people were killed, Carta added.

Prosecutor Mauro Mura said the group had been fundraising across Italy and then smuggling the money into Pakistan to finance terror operations there.

Mura told a press conference in the Sardinian capital of Cagliari that investigators wiretapped the group’s phone and computer conversations between 2005 and 2012. After that, he added, it appeared that the group’s members realized they were being monitored because communications slowed or stopped entirely.

The counterterrorism operation comes two months after Italy warned that ISIS was at its doorstep, following a video in which 21 Egyptian Christians were beheaded, filmed just across the Mediterranean Sea in Libya.

Europe has been on edge when it comes to potential terror attacks after three days of shootings in and around Paris in January that left 17 people dead. Since then there have been large-scale anti-terror operations in France, Germany and Belgium.

Image: Italian Policemen detain a man suspected to be member of an armed organisation inspired by al QaedaHANDOUT / Italian Police via Reuters
- Claudio Lavanga and Alexander Smith

Reuters also contributed to this report. Alexander Smith reported from London.



Comments

Write a Reply or Comment:

Your email address will not be published.*