Father, seven children die of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning – KGNS.tv









SOMERSET, MD (USA Today) – A father and his seven children died Monday afternoon from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a home on Antioch Avenue, emergency officials said.

Princess Anne Police Chief Scott Keller said the juvenile victims ranged from six to 16 years old. No age was given for the adult male. No names have been released.

Keller said the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore will make final determination on cause of death. There was no sign of foul play, he said.

Keller said police were sent to the home at the 30500 block of Antioch Avenue at about 1 p.m. ET Monday to check on the adult male victim, who had not shown up for work. His employer called police, asking them to check on the family.

Inside the home, police said, they found a gas generator in the kitchen that had run out of fuel. The home did not have electricity.

When police entered the house, they could tell something was wrong.

“They knew they weren’t going to find any live people in there,” Keller said.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, unintentional exposure to carbon monoxide caused an average of 430 deaths a year nationwide between 1999 and 2010. Maryland averaged 1.43 deaths per 1 million people from the gas from 1999 to 2004, while the national rate was 1.53 deaths.

A 2006 gas leak at an Ocean City hotel took the lives of a father and a daughter, who succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning. The Ocean City Town Council amended its 2007 law mandating carbon monoxide detectors in hotels and condo buildings, removing an exemption that allowed some units not to have them.

Emergency officials said crisis counselors will be spread throughout the Somerset County Public School system this week to help with grieving students.

Comments

Write a Reply or Comment:

Your email address will not be published.*